Mary Cross, MSW, RSW, Psychotherapist.
I offer live webcam based therapy on evenings & weekends.
In order to see if this mode of therapy works for you, I offer a free introductory 1 hour session.
Is this type of therapy effective?
Webcam based therapy has proven to be as effective as in person therapy. “Research suggests that patients report enhanced therapeutic alliance, increased self-disclosure, and decreased stigma with distance services when compared to face-to-face services.” https://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/English/focus-areas/e-mental-health Mental Health Commission, 2014
Who might benefit from webcam based therapy?
If you have trouble physically getting to appointments due to:
- mobility issues
- travelling time
- babysitting needs
- Online counselling via webcam may offer more privacy for those of you who live in a small or tight knit community.
- It might also be the answer for those who have found that a specific therapy isn’t available within traveling distance.
*Note: Whenever possible, local clients with anxiety are encouraged to come to sessions in the office as part of their anxiety treatment. However, if your anxiety prevents you from getting to the office, we will start with online sessions.
Sessions are 60 minutes. Fee per session is $125.
Privacy and security
Although many people are familiar with Skype, I use the Zoom video based program which has an encrypted technology to ensure privacy – www.zoom.com. Zoom also uses a split screen to communicate. The session can be recorded and sent to you to review whenever you want. As well, documents can be safely shared between us as well as links to websites and resources.
You are responsible for ensuring that the therapy session is not overheard by anyone who you don’t want to hear it, and that all shared documents and recordings are kept private.
You will need:
- A laptop, desktop, tablet or mobile phone with video capability.
- To download the Zoom app ahead of time (less than 1 minute).
- A quiet, private spot in your home without distractions. Perhaps a room where you can lock the door or a time when you will not be disturbed.
- Ability to pay via e-transfer in a timely manner, following your appointment. A receipt will be emailed back.
- A commitment to use your session time as you would an in-office appointment.
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (226)770-0336 to set up a free introductory appointment. I look forward to hearing from you.